Donovan agreed to terms with the Cubs as a non-roster invitee February 5 ...the southpaw will be attempting to return to a big league mound in 2002 after not pitching during the 2000-2001 campaigns.
* had an injury plagued 10-year career in St. Louis' organization after being selected by the Cardinals in the 1st round of the 1990 draft ... during his time in St. Louis' starting rotation from 1992-1999, he:
* worked at least 6.0 innings in 93 of his 138 starts -- and walked 2 or fewer batters 112 times.
* had ratios of allowing only 2.5 walks for every 9.0 innings pitched while striking out 2.3 batters for every walk issued.
* surrendered just 12 homers to the 603 left-handed batters he faced.
* was one of the National League's top left-handed pitchers from 1992-1996, recording a trio of double-digit victory seasons while going 38-31 with a 3.70 ERA ... had his top big league campaign in 1996, going 13-9 with a 3.53 ERA in 30 regular-season starts and seeing his only career postseason action.
* graduated from Carson City (NV) High School in 1987, where he played baseball, basketball and football.
* spent three years pitching for the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, going 35-12 in setting a Big West Conference victory record.
* was a Baseball America freshman all-America selection in 1988, a member of The Sporting News' all-America team in 1989 and a Baseball America all-America selection in 1990.2000Did not play in 2001.1999Donovan was St. Louis' Opening Day starter, but pitched in just 6 games before undergoing season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder in May.
* in his starts, he went 1-3 with a 5.52 ERA ... made his last major league start May 6 (13-3 loss vs. Pittsburgh) -- and picked up his last big league win May 1 (16-5 at Montreal).
* underwent arthroscopic surgery May 25 (Dr. Frank Jobe) to relieve arthritic pain in the shoulder joint.1998Made just 14 starts, as he spent almost four months on the disabled list with left groin and left shoulder injuries ... went 5-4 with a 4.09 ERA.
* opened the campaign on the injured list with continued irritation in his left groin area from the previous season.
* after making 3 injury rehab starts, he rejoined the Cardinals' starting rotation April 16 ... went 1-2 with a 2.64 ERA in 5 starts before returning to the disabled list May 8 with a strained left shoulder.
* made an additional 3 injury rehab starts before being activated August 8.
* had a career-best 3-hitter September 5 against Cincinnati in pitching a 7-0 shutout ... walked just 2 batters in hurling his fourth M.L. complete game.
* also was the winning pitcher in combined shutouts April 27 vs. Montreal (working the first 7.0 innings of a 7-0 contest) and August 20 at New York (hurling 8.0 innings in a 2-0 decision).
* for the season, he held left-handed batters to a .150 average.1997Battled groin and hernia injuries that sidelined him for three months ... went 3-7 with a 4.93 ERA in 14 starts.
* was off to a good start, working 33.0 innings in his first 5 starts ... in his sixth start, though, he was removed from a May 2 contest at New York after 2.0 innings with a strained left groin.
* was on the disabled list May 3-July 29.
* struggled after his return to the active list, allowing 31 runs in 45.1 innings in 8 starts.
* after allowing 5 runs in 4.1 innings September 5 at Colorado, he missed the remainder of the season due to discomfort caused by a hernia.1996Had the best season of his big league career, establishing career highs in victories (13), innings pitched (198.2) and strikeouts (134) for the National League Central Division-winning Cardinals ... went 13-9 with a 3.53 ERA in his 30 regular-season starts, pitching at least 6.0 innings 26 times.
* began the year on the disabled list, as he suffered broken ribs in a spring training automobile accident ... was activated April 17.
* started slowly after returning to the active list, recording a 4.41 ERA in his first 8 starts.
* beginning with a 7.0-inning outing in a 6-4 win vs. Houston May 31, he worked at least 7.0 innings in 8 straight starts (through July 11) -- including a 4-hit shutout against Cincinnati July 3 (4-0).
* worked at least 6.0 innings in every start from May 31-August 28, recording monthly ERAs of 1.96 in June, 3.09 in July and 2.52 in August.
* in an 8-3 victory over San Diego September 7, he hit the eighth grand slam by a pitcher in Cardinals history (off Andy Ashby).
* hit .220 for the season (13-59) with 10 RBI.
* saw his first career postseason action, starting 1 Division Series game against San Diego and 2 N.L. Championship Series affairs against Atlanta ... was the winning pitcher in Game 3 of the NLCS, allowing 2 runs in 7.0 innings in a 3-2 contest.1995Opened the year in St. Louis' starting rotation after having missed the previous campaign -- and went on to go 4-6 with a 3.81 ERA in 19 starts.
* when he started and worked 5.0 innings April 29 at New York (no decision, 5-4 loss), it was his first appearance on a big league mound since August 23, 1993.
* went 0-6 with a 4.73 ERA in his first 13 starts ... that span included a two-month stint on the disabled list May 15-July 14 with a strained left elbow.
* finally recorded his first victory of the campaign September 8, working 8.0 innings in a 5-2 affair vs. San Diego ... it was his first win since August 18, 1993, as he made 15 starts between triumphs.
* from that point through the end of the season, he was 4-0 with a 2.38 ERA in 5 starts.1994Missed the entire campaign due to December 1993 left shoulder reconstructive surgery.1993Had a solid sophomore campaign, starting 26 games and going 10-7 with a 3.76 ERA.
* had a career-best 6-game winning streak June 14-July 19 ... over a longer stretch May 11-July 19, the Cardinals went 11-2 in his starts.
* in the start prior to the winning streak (June 9 at San Francisco), he went the distance but took the loss in a 3-1 contest.
* participated in combined shutouts May 16 against Florida (1-0), July 19 at Atlanta (4-0) and August 18 vs. San Diego (4-0).
* sat out the season's final month after developing tendinitis in his left shoulder ... a follow-up exam determined that the shoulder had become loose.
* underwent reconstructive surgery in December (Dr. Frank Jobe) to tighten tendons and repair looseness in the shoulder.1992Was one of the N.L.'s top rookie pitchers, going 11-9 with a 3.77 ERA in his first big league action.
* was slated to open the year at Arkansas (AA) ... before seeing action for the Double-A club, though, his contract was purchased April 9 when the Cardinals' Bryn Smith went on the disabled list.
* made his M.L. debut that day vs. New York ... left that contest after 2.0 innings, as he sprained his left ankle on a fielding play.
* in his next start April 14 at Montreal, he allowed 1 run over 7.0 innings and picked up his first win in a 3-1 contest.
* went 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA in his first 5 starts ... his fifth start was a combined 3-0 shutout at San Diego May 2.
* in his May 7 start vs. San Francisco, he fanned a career-high 10 batters in 8.0 innings.
* had a brief slump in July, sending him to the bullpen July 28-August 9 ... after returning to the starting rotation, he went 3-3 with a 3.78 ERA in 9 starts.
* walked just 38 batters in 179.0 innings, a ratio of 2.0 for every 9.0 innings of work.
* after the season, he was selected to Baseball Digest's all-rookie team.1991Spent the entire year at the Double-A level in just his second pro season, going 8-12 with a 3.63 ERA for Arkansas (AA) ... completed 3 of his 26 starts and allowed just 6 homers in 166.0 innings.
* his ERA ranked 7th in the Texas League ... was 2nd in the league in innings pitched and 4th in strikeouts (130).1990Pitched for both Hamilton (A) and Savannah (A) during his first pro campaign, starting 10 contests.