Buehrle a Gold Glove finalist for Blue Jays

Buehrle a Gold Glove finalist for Blue Jays

TORONTO -- Blue Jays left-hander Mark Buehrle has been named a finalist for a 2014 Rawlings American League Gold Glove Award.

Buehrle was a four-time recipient of the award from 2009-12. He also was a finalist in '13 but lost to teammate R.A. Dickey.

The 35-year-old Buehrle is nominated alongside Mariners ace Felix Hernandez and Astros left-hander Dallas Keuchel. Buehrle was the only Blue Jays player who made the list of finalists for any position.

The Gold Glove Awards are handed out annually for the best fielder at each position in both leagues. Managers and coaches vote on the awards to make up 75 percent of the decision while the Society for Sabermetric Research accounts for the other 25 percent.

Managers and coaches are not allowed to nominate one of their own players. Each team can vote up to seven times for a maximum total of 105 votes across each league. The winners will be announced on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. ET.

Buehrle has garnered a reputation throughout his 15-year career as one of the top fielding pitchers in the game. He registered two defensive runs saved.

Keuchel would appear to be Buehrle's main opponent for the job. Houston's starter led the Majors with 10 defensive runs saved in '14 and made only one throwing error. Hernandez had a minus-2 DRS and one error.

Buehrle, who remains signed through '15, enjoyed another successful season. He reached the 200-inning plateau for the 14th consecutive year and finished with a 13-10 record and a 3.39 ERA.

Gregor Chisholm is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, North of the Border, and follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.