Marte, Martin finalists for Gold Glove; Cutch shut out

Marte, Martin finalists for Gold Glove; Cutch shut out

SCOTTSDALE -- Left fielder Starling Marte and catcher Russell Martin were announced Thursday as finalists for 2014 National League Rawlings Gold Glove Awards.

However, center fielder Andrew McCutchen -- a finalist the past three seasons who actually earned the emblem of defensive excellence in 2012 -- did not receive a nomination.

The Major League managers and coaches who vote on the award, with the minority influence of defensive metrics that were first taken into consideration last year, chose Reds rookie Billy Hamilton, the Nationals' Denard Span and the Mets' Juan Lagares as the three NL finalists in center field.

Martin heads a trio of NL Central catchers up for the award, alongside six-time Gold Glove Award winner Yadier Molina of the Cardinals and Jonathan Lucroy of the Brewers.

Marte is a finalist along with Justin Upton of Atlanta and the Marlins' Christian Yelich.

Managers and coaches were restricted to voting on players within their respective league, and could not vote for players on their own team. Their votes counted for 75 percent of the balloting, with sabermetrics analytics accounting for the other 25 percent.

Three finalists were selected for each of the positional awards in both leagues, with the winners set to be announced on Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Martin led big league catchers by throwing out 37 runners attempting to steal, and he orchestrated Pittsburgh's staff to pitch to a collective 3.28 ERA. His recognized contribution to helping the Bucs return to postseason play for the second straight season gives him a good shot at reclaiming the award he earned in 2007 with the Dodgers. Molina claimed the NL Gold Glove Award in '08 and has won it every season since.

Widely credited with the best speed among NL corner outfielders and the best throwing arm among the league's left fielders, Marte missed 31 games due to various minor injuries. In left, he had a season remarkably similar to his 2013, when the Gold Glove went to Colorado's Carlos Gonzales.

Ironically, however, he most enhanced his defensive reputation during the two weeks he got to return to his natural position of center, filling in for McCutchen while he recovered from a rib injury.

Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog Change for a Nickel. He can also be found on Twitter @Tom_Singer. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.