As New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter approaches retirement, his jersey is as popular as ever. Jeter once again stands atop the list of most popular MLB player jerseys list, and as the Postseason approaches, the next crop of young stars chasing a World Series title fill out the majority of the list. Following Jeter on the list, released jointly today by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, are Clayton Kershaw of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Mike Trout of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants and Yasiel Puig of the Dodgers.
The list is based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLB.com/Shop, the official online shop of Major League Baseball, since the All-Star break.
Kershaw (#2) and Trout (#3) both are ranked higher than any previous list. In addition, a number of young stars make their first appearance in the top 20, including Adam Jones, Josh Donaldson, Anthony Rendon and Jonathan Lucroy. Five players on the list - Trout, Puig, Manny Machado, Rendon and Anthony Rizzo - are age 25 or younger.
Players representing 14 different Clubs make up the top 20 (including eight different Clubs in the top 10), with only the Dodgers and Red Sox having as many as three players on the list. The top 20 includes nine infielders, five outfielders, three catchers, two pitchers and one DH.
MLB Most Popular Player Jerseys - 2nd Half
Based on sales on MLB.com/Shop of Majestic jerseys since the 2014 All-Star break
- Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
- Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Mike Trout, LA Angels of Anaheim
- Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
- David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
- Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
- Yoenis Cespedes, Oakland Athletics/Boston Red Sox*
- Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
- Albert Pujols, LA Angels of Anaheim
- Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
- Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners
- Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
- Adam Jones, Baltimore Orioles
- Josh Donaldson, Oakland Athletics
- Anthony Rendon, Washington Nationals
- Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
- Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Jonathan Lucroy, Milwaukee Brewers
*Cespedes was traded to the Red Sox shortly after the All-Star break