BOSTON -- Red Sox utility man Brock Holt isn't expected to play during the three-game set against the Rays this week, but manager John Farrell is hopeful that Holt will be ready to return this weekend against the Yankees.
Before Tuesday's game, the 26-year-old went through a full pregame workout, including batting practice, for the first time in nearly three weeks. He hasn't played since leaving a Sept. 5 game because of a concussion, and said before taking the field Tuesday that he's "feeling better."
"We'll get a read on him after today," Farrell said. "I wouldn't expect him to be available in this first series against Tampa, but we're still hopeful that it would be against New York."
Holt saw concussion specialist Dr. Mickey Collins when the team was in Pittsburgh last week, and got positive results from a battery of tests. He resumed baseball activities in Baltimore over the weekend and felt good enough Tuesday to go through a full pregame.
Holt is hitting .281/.331/.381 in 106 games. He appeared in 98 of Boston's 99 games from May 17 to Sept. 5.
Steven Petrella is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.