Not only will the Pirates be hosting an American League team in their Home Opener for the first time in club history, Pittsburgh will be playing Detroit in its Home Opener for the first time since the 1888 season, when the team from the Motor City played in the National League and were known as the Wolverines.
In addition, the Pirates will host the Minnesota Twins (May 19-20), the Chicago White Sox (June 15-16) and the Cleveland Indians (July 3-5) as part of the home portion of Interleague play in 2015. The home schedule and the regular season concludes with a six-game homestand against division rivals St. Louis (September 28-30) and Cincinnati (October 2-4).
Other highlights of the 2015 regular season schedule include:
- April 6 thru April 12: The Pirates begin the season in Cincinnati and Milwaukee.
- April 13 thru April 23: The Detroit Tigers will visit PNC Park for the first three games of the opening 10-game homestand that will also feature three games against the Milwaukee Brewers and four against the Chicago Cubs.
- May 19 thru May 27: The Minnesota Twins return to PNC Park for the first two games of an eight-game homestand that also features three games with the New York Mets and three with the Miami Marlins, including a Memorial Day game on May 25.
- June 8 thru June 16: An eight-game homestand featuring three games with the cross-state rival Philadelphia Phillies and two games against the Chicago White Sox.
- July 3 thru July 12: A July 4th weekend series against the Cleveland Indians, three games against the San Diego Padres and four against the St. Louis Cardinals.
- September 28 thru October 4: The Pirates will end the regular season at home for the first time since 2012 as the final homestand of the 2015 season will feature three games each against the Cardinals and Reds.