Rockies' big surge ends with walk-off win

Blackmon plates winner in ninth for eighth run in final four frames

Rockies' big surge ends with walk-off win

DENVER -- The word "rally" has been absent from the Rockies' vocabulary as of late.

Entering Monday with just 12 runs over their last seven games, the Rockies seemed destined for the longest of Labor Days when left-hander Franklin Morales spotted the Giants four runs in the top of the first.

But rather than say die, the Rockies instead stormed back for eight runs in the final four innings, including a walk-off single from Charlie Blackmon to cap off a 10-9 comeback victory at Coors Field.

"The bottom line is guys kept fighting," manager Walt Weiss said after the Rockies' seventh walk-off victory of the season. "Giving up four in the first after losing that suspended game is a tough way to go. We got down 7-2, still no quit. ... We played winning baseball and won a good game."

After the Rockies had rallied for seven runs in innings six and seven to take a 9-7 lead, right-hander LaTroy Hawkins blew his second save of the season by serving up three straight hits.

Facing right-hander Sergio Romo, back-to-back singles from Michael McKenry and Rafael Ynoa put runners on the corners before Blackmon delivered the winning blow.

Earlier in the day, Romo got Blackmon to fly out in the continuation of the May 22 suspended game by throwing him three straight fastballs. This time, Romo only threw one pitch: a changeup down and out of the zone.

"I kind of felt like with a righty on deck and my run [not] really meaning anything, I figured I probably wouldn't get a really good pitch to hit," Blackmon said. "And I didn't. I swung at a ball."

The Rockies' three callups from earlier in the day each played a large role in the victory as well.

Ben Paulsen's two-run, pinch-hit homer over the out-of-town scoreboard gave the Rockies their first lead of the game in the seventh. Making his first Major League appearance, Ynoa sparked the Rockies when he came on in the fifth, finishing 3-for-4 with an RBI. And in taking over for Morales, left-hander Yohan Flande kept the Rockies in the game by tossing 1 2/3 innings of one-hit ball.

The rally began when the Rockies were trailing, 7-2, in the sixth. In that inning, the Rockies sent nine to the plate as four players registered RBIs to cut it to a one-run deficit.

In the seventh, Corey Dickerson evened it up with his trademark aggressiveness on the basepaths. After sprinting down the line to get to first on a dropped third strike, Dickerson hustled in from second on a shallow single from Josh Rutledge. Dickerson finished his night 1-for-3 with three runs before being pulled for precautionary reasons in the ninth after experiencing some light-headedness.

In 4 1/3 innings, Morales was torched for seven runs on nine hits and four walks to begin the Rockies' uphill battle.

After plating the go-ahead run in a suspended game earlier in the day, Hunter Pence extended his hit streak to 14 games with a three-run blast to right-center in the first inning.

Two two-out walks and a single later, Morales had put the Rockies in a 4-0 hole before they could even swing a bat.

In the second, DJ LeMahieu's triple rattled around in the corner long enough for Dickerson and Rutledge to come home, making it a 4-2 game.

The Giants added three runs in innings four and five with Brandon Crawford driving in two of his three RBIs on a day in which he finished 3-for-4.

Right-hander Tim Hudson was chased before recording an out in the Rockies' four-run sixth. Five days after limiting the Rockies to one run in eight innings in San Francisco, Hudson surrendered six runs (five earned) on seven hits while striking out five.

Cody Ulm is an associate reporter for

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.