• The Cardinals still plan to start Justin Masterson on Saturday, but Matheny has not announced whether Masterson will pitch the first or second game of a doubleheader against the Cubs. St. Louis has not revealed who will start the other game.
• Triple-A Memphis increased its division lead to two games with a 9-6 win over Fresno on Tuesday. Six games remain in the season for Memphis, which hasn't had this large a lead all season. Xavier Scruggs, Audry Perez and Luis Mateo each contributed two-hit, two-RBI games in the most recent win.
• Randal Grichuk made his first start since being recalled as Matheny batted him second against Pirates lefty Jeff Locke on Wednesday. Grichuk, who hit .325 against left-handed pitching in the Minors, doubled off Locke in his first at-bat, one night after getting a pinch-hit RBI single off lefty reliever Tony Watson.
• After Wednesday's game, Matheny said the club still has "nothing concrete" as to the severity of the injury or how long Shane Robinson may be sidelined with a left shoulder injury. Robinson, who injured his shoulder sliding into second base in Monday's game, had returned to St. Louis on Tuesday to have his shoulder examined by team physicians.
• The Cardinals, through a partnership with Papa John's, will sell a limited number of $7 pavilion and terrace level seats to the club's Friday home games against the Rockies (Sept. 12) and Reds (Sept. 19) next month. Those tickets will be available for purchase at 10 a.m. CT on Thursday at cardinals.com/papajohns. There is a limit of six tickets per customer.
Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, and follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.