• Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre second baseman Jose Pirela was named the International League's Batter of the Week for May 26-June 1, leading the circuit with 13 hits while batting .406. He ranks sixth in the league with a .316 average this season.
• Double-A Trenton second baseman Robert Refsnyder was selected as the Eastern League Player of the Week for May 26-June 1, having batted .500 (14-for-28) with a home run and seven RBIs for the Thunder. Refsnyder led all Eastern League players in extra-base hits (nine), doubles (four) and OPS (1.498) last week, tying for first in batting average and triples (two).
• Class A Charleston right-hander Jaron Long, son of Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long, received the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week Award for May 26-June 1. Long went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in two games, allowing four hits and a walk with 14 strikeouts over 11 1/3 innings.
• Yankees right-hander Shawn Kelley is scheduled to throw a simulated game on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. If that goes well, Kelley would likely be cleared for a Minor League rehabilitation assignment. Kelley is on the 15-day disabled list with a stiff lower back.
• On this date in 1941, Lou Gehrig died at his home in the Riverdale section of the Bronx from complications of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The Iron Horse was 37. Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia ordered flags around the city to be flown at half-staff, and Major League ballparks around the nation followed suit.
Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @bryanhoch and read his MLBlog, Bombers Beat. Adam Berry is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @adamdberry. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.