At the beginning of the season, most would have expected No. 1 Cardinals prospect Oscar Taveras to be the first member of the Triple-A Memphis outfield to be promoted to St. Louis. Instead, it was Randal Grichuk (No. 12) who got the call Sunday night.
Undeterred, Taveras extended his 12-game hitting streak Monday against Colorado Springs, going 2-for-4 with a double and a home run. The No. 3 prospect on MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 list is hitting .356 with three home runs during the streak.
Tuesday, as Memphis' series against Colorado Springs continues at 8:02 p.m. ET on MiLB.TV, Taveras will face a pitcher on a hot streak of his own. Rockies' No. 12 prospect Tyler Matzek, the SkySox scheduled starter, enters the game having thrown 11 consecutive scoreless innings.
The rest of the Minor League pitching slate is highlighted by right-hander Marcus Stroman, the Blue Jays' No. 2 prospect (No. 52 overall). After his scheduled start for Triple-A Buffalo was rained out Friday; the Blue Jays pushed him back to Tuesday, putting him on the same schedule as embattled fifth starter Dustin McGowan. That could indicate fans will be able to see Stroman in Toronto soon, but for now they can watch him face Louisville on MiLB.TV at 6:05 p.m.
Other pitchers ranked in the Top 100 who are scheduled to start Tuesday include right-handers Lance McCullers (49), Rafael Montero (80) and Nick Kingham (98). Fans can watch Montero and Kingham on MiLB.TV at 10:05 p.m. and 6:35 p.m., respectively.
Top prospect probables
- Miguel Almonte (Royals' No. 6), Wilmington vs. Myrtle Beach
- Chris Anderson (Dodgers' No. 5), Rancho Cucamonga at Inland Empire
- Tyler Anderson (Rockies' No. 10), Tulsa vs. Arkansas
- Austin Brice (Marlins' No. 19), Jupiter at Palm Beach
- Jamie Callahan (Red Sox No. 19), Greenville at Greensboro
- Michael Clevinger (Angels' No. 12), Burlington at Wisconsin
- Dylan Covey (A's No. 13), Beloit vs. Peoria
- Jonathan Crawford (Tigers' No. 5), West Michigan at Lake County
- Tyler Danish (White Sox No. 5), Kannapolis vs. West Virginia
- Amir Garrett (Reds' No. 20), Dayton vs. Lansing
- Joan Gregorio (Giants' No. 12), San Jose at Modesto
- Hunter Harvey (Orioles' No. 4), Delmarva at Savannah
- Mike Kickham (Giants' No. 17), Fresno at El Paso
- Nick Kingham (Pirates' No. 8), Altoona at Erie
- Branden Kline (Orioles' No. 16), Frederick vs. Carolina
- Tyler Matzek (Rockies' No. 12), Colorado Springs at Memphis
- Lance McCullers (Astros No. 5), Lancaster vs. High Desert
- Rafael Montero (Mets' No. 2), Las Vegas vs. Reno
- Daniel Norris (Blue Jays' No. 4), Dunedin at Tampa
- Ariel Pena (Brewers' No. 18), Nashville vs. New Orleans
- Matt Purke (Nationals' No. 6), Harrisburg vs. New Britain
- Anthony Ranaudo (Red Sox No. 9), Pawtucket at Lehigh Valley
- Joe Ross (Padres' No. 9), Lake Elsinore vs. Visalia
- Tyler Skulina (Cubs' No. 18), Kane County at Cedar Rapids
- Blake Snell (Rays' No. 9), Bowling Green vs. South Bend
- Marcus Stroman (Blue Jays' No. 2), Buffalo vs. Louisville
- Andrew Thurman (Astros' No.16), Quad Cities vs. Clinton
- Austin Voth (Nationals' No. 16), Hagerstown vs. Hickory
- Gabriel Ynoa (Mets' No. 15), St. Lucie vs. Charlotte
Teddy Cahill is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tedcahill. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.