• Asked on Tuesday if the club expects to carry a defined long reliever on the Opening Day roster, Matheny responded: "Still figuring it out." The Cardinals are currently considering three relievers -- Jorge Rondon, Keith Butler and Scott McGregor -- for the seventh spot in the bullpen.
• Carlos Martinez warmed up on Tuesday and was scheduled to pitch the bottom of the sixth until rain delayed the game for 46 minutes. Because he did not get a relief appearance, the Cardinals will have him available to pitch on Wednesday.
• Jason Motte threw another simulated game on Tuesday, marking his fourth time facing batters this spring. Motte said before the work that he hoped he would next be cleared to appear in a Minor League game before Spring Training ends.
• Kolten Wong hit leadoff for the Cards on Tuesday, and he is a candidate to hit in that spot when Matt Carpenter gets days off during the regular season. The Cardinals are not, however, considering having Wong bat ahead of Carpenter when both are in the lineup.
• The Memphis Redbirds announced on Tuesday that tickets for Friday's exhibition game between the Cardinals and their Triple-A affiliate have been sold out. There are a limited number of VIP packages; visit www.memphisredbirds.com for more information.
• Following Tuesday's rain delay, Mark Ellis moved to third base, a position he had not played this spring. The Cardinals intended to get Ellis work at third until those plans were interrupted by a knee injury. Ellis could be asked to back up at third during the regular season.
Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, and follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.