• Right-hander Phillippe Aumont threw 2 1/3 scoreless innings Thursday in Clearwater, more than he is accustomed to throwing. He allowed two hits and three walks.
"Just work into the delivery, work into throwing strikes," pitching coach Bob McClure said. "I wanted to see him mix it up a little more, see him use his breaking ball a little more, which he did. I'm trying to get him to understand that you don't have to throw max effort all the time to be effective. I just don't know if he can do that throwing one inning every time."
Aumont has walked seven and struck out one in 10 1/3 innings.
• Right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez received a cortisone injection into his right shoulder Thursday. He has been sidelined with soreness.
• Domonic Brown did not play Thursday because of the flu.
• Infielder Freddy Galvis remains sidelined after having an abscess removed from his left knee Wednesday. He is expected to rest at least through Friday.
"We'll see if he gets back into action over the weekend," Sandberg said.
• Right-hander Jonathan Pettibone is scheduled to pitch in a Minor League game Saturday. He is recovering from right shoulder inflammation.
Todd Zolecki is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.