• Russell Martin played back-to-back games for the first time -- kind of. He was the DH on Saturday, after starting at catcher in Friday's game against the Twins. Martin went 2-for-3 with a three-run homer and four RBIs. He had three RBIs all last spring.
• Right-hander Phil Irwin, who has been resting a tender right elbow, has begun playing catch and is due to toss a bullpen session on Monday. Barring setbacks, he will take his first game turn in a Thursday return to Port Charlotte.
• Josh Harrison went 2-for-2 to raise his spring average to .462.
"His bat has been loud, and he's been good on defense," acting manager Banister complimented Harrison's play. "Josh has been focused. He knows what his job is and what he needs to do to get ready. It's been a nice sight to see."
• Adam Wilk put up three more zeroes. The lefty reliever has pitched six shutout innings, allowing three hits.
• Randy Gravitt, a self-described "leadership coach" on the lecture circuit to help "people reach their full potential," spoke to the Pirates prior to the start of Saturday's agenda.
Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog Change for a Nickel. He can also be found on Twitter @Tom_Singer. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.