• The Yankees set out for their annual team-bonding trip Monday morning, and it was a familiar one. As they did in 2009, the Yankees took part in a pool tournament. Manager Joe Girardi joked that the pool-hall outing will become a Spring Training staple if this season ends the same way '09 did.
"I think it's a great opportunity for guys to bond off the field a little bit, get to know each other," Girardi said. "You try to set it up where they're working with people they might work with during the season and they're working with people where we're not sure that they'll work with during the season."
• Outfielder/designated hitter Alfonso Soriano (flu) told Girardi he was feeling much better as he reported to the Yankees' clubhouse Monday morning. Soriano was scheduled to do some light work in the weight room and hit in the batting cage. Since he hasn't worked out with the team this spring, Girardi said, Soriano will be held back a bit as games begin Tuesday.
• Girardi said outfielder Brett Gardner, catcher Francisco Cervelli and infielder Kelly Johnson should be among the everyday players taking the field for Tuesday's 1:05 p.m. ET exhibition game against Florida State University. Left-hander Vidal Nuno is scheduled to start for the Yankees.
• The most scrutinized player on the field Tuesday might not play for the Yankees, though. Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Jameis Winston, also an outfielder and reliever, has piqued Girardi's interest as well.
"It'll be fun," Girardi said. "Obviously he's extremely athletic. When you watch him play the game of football, he's got a great arm. He's pretty mature for his age, as an athlete and what he had to go through and handle, and I'm excited to see him."
• Infielder Scott Sizemore, recovering from a torn left ACL, likely won't begin playing in Spring Training games until the end of the week or the beginning of next week.
Adam Berry is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @adamdberry. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.