Capuano will wear No. 55 with the Red Sox.
• Daniel Nava has not taken batting practice for the past three days. The switch-hitter's neck bothers him when he bats from the right side. On Sunday, he stood at the plate to see some pitches but did not swing.
"Making progress," Farrell said. "Hopefully within the next couple of days he's back swinging the bat."
• Farrell said right-hander Jake Peavy, who had been bothered by irritation in his right ring finger, is progressing.
"He came out of [Saturday's] bullpen good," Farrell said. "And it was a step up in intensity, volume. He came out of it good."
• The Red Sox have set their pitchers for their first four exhibition games:
Thursday vs. Northeastern University: Brandon Workman and Henry Owens are scheduled to pitch two innings each, followed by Noe Ramirez and Burke Badenhop
Thursday vs. Boston College: Rubby De La Rosa (two), Matt Barnes (two), Miguel Celestino, Tommy Layne and Alex Wilson
Friday vs. Minnesota: Anthony Ranaudo (two), Dalier Hinojosa (two), Francisco Cordero and Andrew Miller
Saturday at Minnesota: Allen Webster (two), Drake Britton (two), Brayan Villarreal and Jose Mijares.
• Buchholz, Jon Lester and John Lackey are being held out for the first turn through the rotation. After last year's World Series run and additional workload, the plan is to allow them more rest earlier in camp, building up later.
• Mike Carp appeared in 86 games for the Red Sox last season, with appearances in left field, right field, at first base and as the designated hitter. Farrell suggested he may get some work at a different position this spring in an effort to increase Carp's versatility. Asked if that meant work other than at first base or in the outfield, Farrell replied: "Stay tuned."