• Shortstop Elvis Andrus, infielder Luis Sardinas and pitcher Perez -- all from Venezuela -- were among the Rangers who tweeted a photo showing support for their country. "Pray for Venezuela" was among the messages written on placards in the photo for a country that has been racked by protests lately.
• The Rangers have signed right-hander Scott Richmond to a Minor League contract. He will be in Minor League camp. Richmond went 6-7 with a 5.91 ERA in 20 starts at Triple-A Round Rock last season. He has pitched in 36 games at the big league level, all with the Blue Jays in 2008-09 and 2011-12, with a record of 9-14 with a 5.27 ERA.
• Right-handed reliever Shawn Tolleson relied exclusively on a fastball and a slider when he was 3-1 with a 4.30 ERA in 40 games for the Dodgers in 2012. But the Rangers have discovered he also has a very good changeup, and they want him to include it in his repertoire.
•: Jurickson Profar, who is unable to throw because of right shoulder tendinitis, is able to swing the bat without any issues. He is hoping to resume a throwing program next week.
• Rios is still being held out of workouts with a sore left big toe.
• Fielder was given a personal day off by Washington.
T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields, and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.