The official announcement came eight hours after Maholm appeared in the Dodgers clubhouse at Spring Training.
Other news and notes from Saturday:
• Yankees right-hander Masahiro Tanaka is expected to meet with the media Tuesday in New York.
• The Rays held a youth clinic on Saturday.
• The Indians won their arbitration case with reliever Vinnie Pestano. He'll make make $975,000 this season.
• The A's are confident with how they're currently constructed. They also hope to avoid arbitration with outfielder Josh Reddick.
• Mets right-hander Matt Harvey, who had surgery last October, hopes to begin throwing this month.
• The Cubs and right-hander Jeff Samardzija agreed to a one-year, $5,345,000 deal, avoiding arbitration.
• Padres starter Andrew Cashner will make $2.4 million this season after winning his arbitration case.
• Dodgers manager Don Mattingly discussed an array of topics, including outfielder Matt Kemp, on the first day of Spring Training.
• Dodgers right-hander Chad Billingsley feels like he has a new arm.
• Arizona players say they're happy with the decision to sign right-hander Bronson Arroyo.
• Padres right-hander Josh Johnson says he received some positive feedback from a college coach.
• The D-backs donated $700,000 to local youth and Little League ballplayers.
Cash Kruth is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @cashkruth. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.