The Cubs have yet to confirm the deal.
Plenty of others news occurred throughout the league. Here's a look at some of the top stories:
• The Tigers avoided arbitration with catcher Alex Avila, signing him to a one-year, $4.15 million contract that includes an option for 2015. The deal finished the Tigers' arbitration dealings.
• The Angels avoided arbitration with their final two eligible players, agreeing on a $5.05 million contract with third baseman David Freese and a $1,462,500 contract with reliever Kevin Jepsen.
• The Royals signed relief pitcher Aaron Crow to a one-year, $1,475,000 million contract to avoid arbitration. He asked for $1.7 million, while the Royals offered $1.28 million, the same salary he earned in 2013.
• Not only did the Cubs reportedly sign Hammel, the team signed pitcher James McDonald to a Minor League contract that includes an invitation to Spring Training.
• The Marlins added veteran Reed Johnson into their mix of outfielders, signing him to a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training. Johnson played in 74 games for the Braves last season.
• The Angels signed veteran Yorvit Torrealba to a Minor League contract with an invitation to Spring Training. The catcher would provide Minor League depth along with Luis Martinez and John Hester.
• Veteran shortstop Alex Gonzalez, who would enter his 16th season, signed a Minor League deal with the Orioles that includes an invitation to Spring Training. He spent the last two seasons with the Brewers, but appeared in only 65 games.
• Roger Bernadina became the Reds' latest Minor League signing, as the club invited the outfielder to Spring Training as a non-roster player. If he makes the team, Bernadina will earn a $1 million salary in 2014.
• Switch-hitting veteran Wilson Betemit agreed to a Minor League deal with the Rays, according to CBSSports.com. The club has yet to confirm the deal.
• After spending the 2013 season in Japan, first baseman Matt Clark and the Mets agreed to a Minor League contract with an invitation to Spring Training.