BOSTON -- Marco Scutaro left Friday's game at Fenway Park for precautionary reasons after being hit in the head by a pitch with one out in the top of the fourth inning.
The Blue Jays shortstop immediately fell to the ground after a fastball sailed up and in from Red Sox starter Josh Beckett. He was diagnosed with a head contusion.
Scutaro downplayed the severity of the injury late Friday night, but he stopped short of proclaiming himself available for Saturday's game.
"I'm fine," Scutaro said. "I'll see how I feel in the morning."
Manager Cito Gaston echoed Scutaro's sentiments.
"So far, he's fine," Gaston said. "We're just going to watch him to make sure he's OK."
After gathering himself at home plate and walking back to the Toronto dugout under his own power, Scutaro was replaced by pinch-runner John McDonald.
The eight-year veteran is batting .293 with 11 home runs and 55 RBIs to accompany a .388 on-base percentage.
John Barone is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.