The Hot Stove was quiet Tuesday, with the biggest news that 146 players filed for salary arbitration -- a process that continues Friday when players and teams exchange figures.
Here is the full list of all 146.
There's still no news regarding Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, who has until Jan. 24 to sign. Sports on Earth's Jonathan Bernhardt opines who needs Tanaka the most.
In the spirit of the upcoming NFL conference championship games, three of the quarterbacks remaining in the playoffs -- Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Tom Brady -- were selected in Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft.
Other news and notes from around baseball:
• MLB.com's Phil Rogers writes that Baltimore's playoff chances hinge on its defense.
• White Sox reporter Scott Merkin fields questions in his Inbox.
• The Angels extended Spring Training invitations to Mark Mulder and a host of prospects.
• Seattle invited 15 prospects to Spring Training.
• The Astros are moving signs in Minute Maid Park's left field.
• Dodgers second baseman Miguel Rojas has drawn comparisons to former Major Leaguer Omar Vizquel for his defense.
• San Diego's Max Fried was named the third-best left-handed pitching prospect by MLB.com.
• The Padres announced their Minor League coaching staffs.