• Free-agent outfielder Nelson Cruz carries one of the most powerful bats on the market, and his name has been tied to several teams. But the veteran remains unsigned as the offseason drags on, an issue MLB.com's Tracy Ringolsby explores in his latest column.
• Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti addressed several topics, revealing that he has talked with the agent for Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, while also engaging in extension talks with Clayton Kershaw and Hanley Ramirez. Colletti also is looking to add an infielder.
• The D-backs have a "plan of attack" in their pursuit of Tanaka, but they're not offering up much in the way of details.
• With Tanaka set to meet with Major League clubs in the coming days, the Japanese media are reporting that he flew to the U.S. on Wednesday, according to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times. David Waldstein of The New York Times reported that Tanaka is currently in Chicago.
• As part of a Q&A with MLB.com's Bill Ladson, Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond addresses the possibility of a contract extension and says it isn't a distraction for him. Desmond and teammate Jordan Zimmermann are potential candidates for extensions, as both have two seasons remaining before free agency.
• The Tigers and shortstop Jose Iglesias agreed to a one-year contract.
• The Marlins re-signed veteran righty Kevin Slowey to a Minor League deal, with an invitation to Spring Training.
Andrew Simon is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @HitTheCutoff. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.