• Buchholz will make his rehab appearance with Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday, and he's still on schedule to throw about 55 pitches. The righty will likely make one more start with Pawtucket, perhaps in a playoff game, before returning to the Red Sox.
• Brandon Snyder, on the 15-day disabled list due to a sore right elbow, began his rehab assignment with Pawtucket on Wednesday. Farrell said Snyder will likely return on Sunday, when rosters expand.
• Farrell said he expects to call up about eight or nine players in September. Some of them will be up immediately on Sunday while others may arrive later. A third catcher, a right-handed reliever and the speedy Quintin Berry were a few needs Farrell highlighted.
• Matt Barnes, the Red Sox's first-round Draft pick in 2011 and the team's fifth-ranked prospect, will be promoted to Triple-A on Thursday. Barnes had impressed in 108 innings at Double-A Portland this season, striking out 135 batters while walking 46 and posting a 4.33 ERA. He probably won't factor into Boston's starting rotation to begin 2014, but the former University of Connecticut product doesn't appear too far away.
• Red Sox starters have posted a 1.36 ERA over the last seven games. They've held opponents to two runs or less in all seven games.
Jason Mastrodonato is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @jmastrodonato. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.