Corporan, Stassi taking time in concussion recoveries

Corporan, Stassi taking time in concussion recoveries

Corporan, Stassi taking time in concussion recoveries

HOUSTON -- Astros catchers Carlos Corporan and Max Stassi, both of whom were recently placed on the seven-day disabled list for concussions, are at different points in recovery. Corporan said Friday he's at about "50 percent," while Stassi is still trying to get his legs under him.

Corporan suffered a concussion when he was struck in the mask by a foul ball Monday and is improving. He undergoes daily baseline tests, but is still feeling the lingering effects of nausea, dizziness and headaches.

"I saw the doctor, and he said the symptoms I have are just normal," Corporan said. "I need to be 100 percent just in case I get hit again because of the position I play. You can get hit any time. [The doctor] said I'm going to take it very slow, and we'll see what happens."

Stassi, who was called up to take Corporan's place, was injured in his second Major League game Wednesday, when he was struck in the shoulder and face by a fastball while batting. The only visible sign of the injury Stassi showed Friday was a busted lip, but he was still feeling it enough that he wasn't quite ready to talk to the media.

"I talked to both of them and they're doing well," Astros manager Bo Porter said. "They're going to have some headaches. Like I told both of them, 'The best thing you can do right now is just be honest with the doctors, be honest with the trainers, and tell them exactly how you're feeling and let the process take care of itself.'"

Corporan said he's going to make sure he's 100 percent healthy before playing again. He said he wanted to stay in the game Monday in Arlington because the symptoms weren't too bad, but admitted getting off the field was the right thing to do.

"It will take me a few more days," he said. "I've been hit so many times and this is the first time I felt like this. I've been hit many times behind the plate and didn't have any symptoms. Even when they took me off, I felt nauseous, but nothing like I feel right now. It's scary. I'm glad they made that decision to take me out of the game. For me, I wanted to keep playing, so it could have been worse."

Brian McTaggart is a reporter for and writes an MLBlog, Tag's Lines. Follow @brianmctaggart on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.