• Left-hander Justin Nicolino, ranked by MLB.com as the Marlins' fourth-best prospect, has been named the Florida State League Pitcher of the Year. Nicolino, now at Double-A Jacksonville, opened the season with Class A Jupiter, and he was 5-2 with a 2.23 ERA in 18 starts in the Florida State League.
• Placido Polanco, on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion, will return to the clubhouse on Thursday, where he will ride a stationary bike and be evaluated further. Polanco was struck on the left side of the helmet on Friday by a pitch against the Giants. He has spent the past few days resting at his home.
• Qualls was unavailable on Tuesday night because of some tightness in his back. He did some throwing on Wednesday and is being evaluated day to day.
• Hall of Fame Spanish-language radio voice Felo Ramirez was interacting with fans on Wednesday night for the first time on Twitter. He could be reached using the hashtag #feloenvivo.
• Although he is several months away from being declared a free agent, the Marlins have interest in Cuban defector Jose Dariel Abreu, whose asking price could be in the $60 million range.
Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter