$529,000 raised for charity through Chevrolet Home Run Derby
Yoenis Cespedes won the Chevrolet Home Run Derby tonight, but all eight participants teamed up to raise money for charity. With 103 total home runs hit during the competition (including five Gold Ball home runs worth $23,000 each), Chevrolet and Major League Baseball will combine to donate $529,000 to charity, including the following:
- $150,000 to the charity of choice for AL Captain Robinson Cano, whose team won the competition between the leagues, 53-50.
- $100,000 to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in Cano's name.
- $25,000 to the charity of choice for NL Captain David Wright.
- $120,000 to a group of eight local MLB Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) leagues throughout the region, including $50,000 to the Jackie Robinson Jersey City RBI.
- Another $134,000 to Boys & Girls Clubs of America (the balance of the home runs hit).