• Jeff Baker, sidelined with a sprained left thumb, has had no trouble taking batting practice this week and could be ready for a rehab assignment on Monday at Double-A Frisco. Craig Gentry, sidelined with a fractured left hand, is also taking batting practice and should be ready to play at Frisco either Sunday or Monday.
• Neftali Feliz, who is nearing his one-year anniversary of having Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery, is throwing 40-45 pitch bullpen sessions in Surprise, Ariz., and using all of his pitches. At some point, he should progress to live batting practice and then Minor League games for a possible return by September. Feliz had his surgery on Aug. 1.
• Colby Lewis is scheduled for a 45-pitch live batting practice session on Saturday. He'll be reevaluated after that to see if he's ready for a rehab assignment.
• The Rangers signed one more Draft pick before Friday's 4 p.m. CT deadline. They signed Sal Mendez, a left-handed pitcher from Weehawken (N.J.) High, who was taken in the 40th round. They signed 28 of their 41 picks from June's First-Year Player Draft, including their top 13 picks.
• After two years as the American League manager for the All-Star Game, Ron Washington will spend his break at his home in New Orleans.
"I haven't been home since February," Washington said.
T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Postcards from Elysian Fields, and follow him on Twitter @Sullivan_Ranger. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.