• Outfielder Michael Morse, on the 15-day disabled list with a strained quadriceps, worked out again pregame on Wednesday and is getting closer to returning, according to Wedge. He's eligible to come off the DL on Friday, but Wedge said he'd likely need at least several days of a Minor League rehab in Tacoma.
• Hector Noesi got the spot start for Tacoma on Tuesday after Danny Hultzen was scratched with tightness in his shoulder. Noesi threw three innings with two hits and one run and now has a 7.43 ERA in 26 2/3 innings at Triple-A.
• Veteran reliever Josh Kinney accepted his Minor League assignment to Tacoma and threw an inning on Tuesday, allowing two hits and a run as he continues returning from a rib injury that has sidelined him since the spring.
• Ty Kelly, the infielder acquired from the Orioles last weekend for Eric Thames, made his Tacoma debut and went 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored while playing second base Tuesday.
• Catcher Kelly Shoppach, released last week by the Mariners, signed a Minor League deal on Wednesday with the Nationals.
Greg Johns is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB as well as his Mariners Musings blog. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.