• For the third straight game, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny dropped Matt Holliday from the three-hole to the fifth spot in the order. Matheny did not say how long Holliday may bat lower in the order, though the move was in response to Holliday's dip in production. He entered Friday batting .267 with a .349 on-base percentage and slugging percentage of .437. Holliday has 40 RBIs and 11 homers through the team's first 78 games.
• All-Star Game voting by players and coaches began on Friday and will continue through the weekend. All-Star Game participants are chosen through a combination of fan voting, player/coach voting and manager selection.
• A day after hosting his annual golf tournament to benefit the Animal Rescue Foundation, former Cardinals and A's manager Tony La Russa attended Friday's game at O.co Coliseum. A handful of Cardinals players and coaches participated in La Russa's golf event on their off-day on Thursday. La Russa resides in the Oakland area.
• On Friday, the Cardinals agreed to terms with 33rd-round Draft pick Nicholas Frey, a right-hander who recently underwent Tommy John surgery. Because of the lengthy recovery time, Frey will not make his debut in the Minors until next season.
• The Cardinals have announced plans for four theme nights at Busch Stadium later this season. Those themes include Nelly Night (Aug. 6), Star Wars Night (Aug. 7) and two Hunting and Fishing Nights (July 23, Sept. 11). For more details on the promotions and events highlighting each of the evenings, visit cardinals.com/theme.
Jenifer Langosch is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, By Gosh, It's Langosch, and follow her on Twitter @LangoschMLB. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.