Zastryzny, 21, was 2-9, but the Tigers averaged 2.5 runs per start. The lefty ranks eighth all-time in Missouri history with 228 strikeouts.
• Starlin Castro batted seventh for the third straight game Friday. The shortstop, who was batting .253 overall, was 1-for-8 in the first two games there after hitting second most of the season. How long will Sveum keep Castro lower in the order?
"I have no idea," Sveum said. "There's no timetable on it. Hopefully, we get him back swinging the bat and having quality at-bats and hitting the ball hard. It's not even seeing that he gets hits, but more the at-bats and hitting the ball hard."
• Cubs pitchers set a National League record with 19 RBIs in the month of May, but success does have a price.
"Hopefully, they have as good a month in June as they did in May," Sveum said. "They outproduced some of the other spots in the lineup. Not putting a downer on it, but now they get pitched a little tougher."
• No date has been set for Kyuji Fujikawa's surgery on his right elbow. Fujikawa needs Tommy John surgery, and the team has been waiting for the swelling to subside before setting a date.
• Reliever Shawn Camp threw his second bullpen session on Friday since going on the disabled list with a sprained right big toe. He's making progress, Sveum said, as is reliever Rafael Dolis, on the DL with a strained forearm.
• The Cubs have announced start times for four Friday games this season, which will begin at 3:05 p.m. CT, following approval from the Chicago city council.
The four dates are July 5 against the Pirates, July 12 against the Cardinals. Aug. 2 against the Dodgers and Aug. 16 against the Cardinals. The games were previously listed as "to be determined."
The Cubs' players wanted the late starts after road trips. The July 5 switch will help, as they play in Oakland the day before.
Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. She writes a blog, Muskat Ramblings, and you can follow her on Twitter @CarrieMuskat. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.