• Hurdle said he "anticipate[d] backing away from" using setup man Mark Melancon before Thursday's game, and stuck to that, as Melancon, who pitched an inning in Tuesday's and Wednesday's game, didn't pitch a third straight game.
• The Pirates were 22-24 through 46 games last season. They were 28-18 entering Thursday's game.
• Pirates hitting coach Jay Bell was not with the team on Thursday while he attends his son's high school graduation.
• The Penguins scored seven goals Wednesday night in their victory over the Senators in the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. There were eight hits plus runs total in the Pirates' 1-0 win over the Cubs on Wednesday.
• Inge showed up to the clubhouse on Thursday in full hockey gear and a white Mario Lemieux jersey. He even wore roller blades to go along with shin guards, pants, gloves, shoulder pads and a helmet.
Steven Petrella is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.