• David Ortiz was batting third at designated hitter for Triple-A Pawtucket in Game 1 of Saturday's doubleheader. Ortiz was 2-for-3 in his first rehab start with Pawtucket. Farrell said he's looking for 20-25 at-bats from Ortiz before he's ready to join the big league club.
• Left-handed reliever Craig Breslow will get his first game action in extended spring training on Tuesday as he continues to progress from left shoulder tendinitis. The 32-year-old struck out 19 batters in 20 innings with a 2.70 ERA with Boston last year. The Red Sox have been rolling with just one lefty, Andrew Miller, in the bullpen this season.
• Saturday starter Jon Lester has contained two of the Rays best hitters throughout his career, holding Evan Longoria to a .231 average (9-for-39) and Ben Zobrist to a .229 average (8-for-35).
• Entering Saturday, Red Sox starters have held opponents to three runs or fewer in all nine games this season, matching the longest streak to begin a season in club history, previously accomplished by the 1916 club. Babe Ruth, Ernie Shore and Rube Foster made up the starting rotation then.
• The Red Sox lead the Majors with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings.
Jason Mastrodonato is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @jmastrodonato. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.