• Entering Saturday night's fifth game of the season, three Pirates had yet to see action: Left-hander Jeff Locke, scheduled to start Sunday's series finale with the Dodgers; reliever Chris Leroux; and backup catcher Michael McKenry.
• Jameson Taillon, another pitching member of the Pirates' family who got a jump on his '13 season with participation in the World Baseball Classic, hurled five shutout innings in his season debut Saturday as Double-A Altoona beat Erie, 6-3, in Eastern League action.
• Charlie Morton (Tommy John surgery) is slated to pitch two innings in an extended spring game on Monday.
• Francisco Liriano (fractured non-throwing right arm) threw two shifts and 30 pitches of batting practice on Friday, will throw a side session Sunday and pitch in a simulated game on Wednesday.
• Jose Contreras (Tommy John surgery) pitched a simulated inning on Friday, will throw a side session on Sunday and is due to throw two innings in extended spring action early next week.
• Jeff Karstens (shoulder inflammation) resumed throwing for the first time on Saturday, but just to play flat-ground catch.
Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog Change for a Nickel. He can also be found on Twitter @Tom_Singer. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.