Domino's and Major League Baseball Advanced Media on Tuesday announced a "DomiNoNo" offer to all subscribers of MLB.TV, the Internet's longest running and most prolific live video subscription service. On the next business day after each of the first two no-hitters of this season, the first 10,000 MLB.TV subscribers who visit MLB.com/Dominos have a chance to win a free two-topping medium handmade pan pizza (carryout).
"The no-hitter is one of sports' greatest achievements," said Domino's spokesperson Chris Brandon. "Domino's is thrilled to reward baseball fans with free pizza the day after each of the first two no-hitters of the 2013 season."
The DomiNoNo offer is available for five consecutive days after each of those first two no-nos. Look for a lot of #DomiNoNo hashtags whenever a no-hitter reaches a sixth inning, leading you to live video on MLB.com and up-to-the-moment game alerts on the just-updated MLB.com At Bat 13 app. The promotion is part of a larger media package between Domino's and MLBAM that will see the pizza company's ads featured on several MLBAM digital media properties.
The no-hitter was a fact of life last season, so the question is whether the trend will continue. The seven no-hitters tied the single-season record set in 1990 and matched in '91.
"I don't think there is anything special about it," Homer Bailey said after throwing the seventh one on Sept. 28. "Pitchers just have to find that fortunate night, and there's got to be a couple of plays where the defense makes a great play. Mix all of those things together, and you can have a very special night."
Here is a recap of how consistently they came in 2012:
• April 21: Humber (perfect) for White Sox vs. Mariners.
• May 2: Jered Weaver for Angels vs. Twins.
• June 1: Johan Santana for Mets vs. Cardinals.
• June 8: Kevin Millwood, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor, Lucas Luetge, Brandon League and Tom Wilhelmsen for Mariners vs. Dodgers.
• June 13: Cain (perfect) for Giants vs. Astros.
• Aug. 15: Hernandez (perfect) for Mariners vs. Rays.
• Sept. 28: Bailey for Reds vs. Pirates.