"The gate didn't save me," Freese said, with an ice pack wrapped on his back. "I took a spill."
• Put on a conservative spring program after dealing with some right shoulder soreness early in Spring Training, Craig resumed throwing a few days ago. Asked when he might make his spring debut at first base, Craig said, "hopefully soon."
Craig served as the Cardinals' designated hitter on Monday. It marked his fifth DH appearance in Grapefruit League play.
• Mike Matheny managed Monday's game after receiving an epidural shot in the morning to address numbness and pain from a ruptured disc in his back. Matheny is hopeful that the injection will decrease the pain enough to allow him to avoid a more invasive procedure at this time.
• Jay will serve as the Cardinals' representative in the Major League Baseball Players Association this season.
• The Cardinals trimmed their roster by three after Monday's game, as they re-assigned catcher Adam Ehrlich, catcher Jesus Montero and infielder Starlin Rodriguez to Minor League camp.
• The Cardinals will not hold any activities at their complex on Tuesday, which is the first of three off-days for the club this spring.