• Martin, listed at catcher when the Pirates' original lineup for Sunday's game was posted Saturday morning, got the day off once he communicated to Hurdle that he didn't yet feel ready to resume defensive play.
The backstop, who has nursed a sore shoulder for five days, planned to "play some catch to see how it feels, and we'll go from there." He reported feeling good after returning to game action as the DH in Saturday's game.
• Jose Contreras (Tommy John surgery) was ecstatic over his latest bullpen session, in which he said he "even threw a couple of changeups, and [felt] no pain. I felt great." He won't throw for a couple of days, and will throw another bullpen on Tuesday.
• Checking up on former Pirates, current Astros: Outfielder Robbie Grossman (6-for-13 after Sunday) and lefty Rudy Owens (one earned run in 2 2/3 innings) were part of last July's deal for Wandy Rodriguez; Erik Bedard, in camp as a non-roster invitee, allowed no earned runs in two innings in his only start.
• Slogan T-shirts are a big thing in Spring Training camps, and the Pirates' latest -- obtained by reliever Bryan Morris -- reflects the label of "Say I Won't" apparel in the front and lists responses to the negativism on the back.
• Sunday was the official reporting day for Pirates Minor Leaguers, whose camp opens on Monday with the first workout at Pirate City. That usually is the precursor for the initial cuts from the Major League camp, which are expected later this week.
• The Pirates will probably continue using a designated hitter through games this week, then begin having their starting pitchers bat.