• Matt Thornton threw an extended bullpen session on Saturday and is ready for his Cactus League debut against Team USA on Tuesday.
"I was at 40-plus, maybe even 50 pitches," Thornton said. "I threw a lot rapid-fire, kind of on purpose and let it go as much as I could in that kind of atmosphere in the bullpen. It felt great."
Thornton was briefly sidelined this spring by triceps soreness but was never worried it would throw him off track.
• Brent Morel got the start at shortstop Saturday and handled two chances flawlessly. Manager Robin Ventura said that eventually Morel will get another shot there.
"It's a little work in progress of him at short," Ventura said. "Again, it's just to get a look, get him some at-bats. You know, move some guys around. Conor [Gillaspie] being over at first base [on Saturday], just to get a look at him."
• White Sox starting pitchers have allowed two earned runs over their last 13 1/3 innings, covering five games.
• Jeff Keppinger played third Saturday for the first time in Cactus League action. He'll have Sunday off, according to Ventura, and then play two straight at third.
• Gavin Floyd, Scott Snodgress, Hector Santiago, Nate Jones, Matt Lindstrom and Dylan Axelrod are scheduled to join Thornton in pitching against Team USA on Tuesday.
• Ventura was not sure of the return date to camp for Alexei Ramirez, who is home in Florida taking care of a family matter.
• The White Sox have a "B" game scheduled for Monday morning.