Worth noting

• Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin is on track to play in his first Spring Training game in a week to 10 days, manager Bud Black said on Friday.

The 30-year-old is coming off a season in which he missed the first 49 games because of knee surgery in March. Quentin had another minor surgery on the same knee in October.

The outfielder finished the 2012 season with 16 home runs and 46 RBIs in 86 games.

"He's hitting off pitchers, hitting off coaches, getting his hacks in, he's just not there for game activity yet," Black said. "He's OK, he's on pace. But even if it's a little later, that's still OK."

When Quentin does make his debut, Black added it could be in the designated hitter slot to ease him in a bit.

• Former Padres pitcher Randy Jones arrived at camp on Friday to help work with the team.

"He's here for a couple weeks, he'll put his eyes on our guys," Black said. "He's pumped for it, he hasn't been in a uniform since 1983. It's cool to have these great ex-Padres here."

Jones won the 1976 National League Cy Young Award with San Diego and had his number retired by the organization in 1997.

• A day after tossing a scoreless inning in his first outing of the spring, Padres righty Tim Stauffer reported feeling fine, with no ill effects.

Stauffer made only one start last year before undergoing surgery on his pitching elbow.

The Padres removed lefty Jose De Paula from the restricted list Friday and transferred right-hander Joe Wieland to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster.

Tyler Emerick is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.