SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Padres avoided arbitration with third baseman Chase Headley on Wednesday, agreeing to a one-year, $8.575 million deal with the 2012 Silver Slugger and Gold Glove winner.
Headley, who finished fifth in the National League MVP voting in 2012, was seeking $10.3 million. The Padres offered him $7.075 million when players and clubs exchanged arbitration figures last week.
Headley led the NL with 115 RBIs while earning a salary of $3.475 million last season. He also hit a career-best 31 home runs and was the NL Player of the Month in August and September.
"The process of arbitration is never that easy, and in this case, it's a good raise," said Padres general manager Josh Byrnes. "We're happy it's done. Chase earned his salary."
There had been some initial dialog about trying to work out an extension for Headley, who remains under team control until 2015. For now, though, that's been tabled.
"We couldn't frame it up where it made sense for both sides," Byrnes said.
Pitcher Clayton Richard is now the lone Padres player without a contract for 2013. Richard, who matched his career best in victories with 14 last season, is seeking $5.55 million. The team offered $4.905 million.
Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. Keep track of @FollowThePadres on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.