NEW YORK -- In a necessary administrative move, the Mets on Tuesday exercised the 2013 contract options of third baseman David Wright and right-hander R.A. Dickey, according to a source, as they work to hammer out long-term extensions for the pair.
Wright is slated to earn $16 million next season and Dickey will earn $5 million, both on team options. But general manager Sandy Alderson said last month that his club's top offseason priority will be ripping up those options in favor of long-term extensions for both players.
For Wright, that could mean the largest deal in franchise history, potentially seven or eight years approaching $150 million. For Dickey, a new contract could be in the neighborhood of three years and $40 million.
Alderson initially said that he, Wright and Dickey could complete negotiations by the end of the World Series. Instead, talks for both players will continue into November.
Wright, 29, is coming off a bounce-back season that saw him hit .306 with 21 home runs and 93 RBIs in 156 games, breaking the franchise record for hits while also demonstrating marked improvement on defense. The Mets signed him to a team-friendly six-year, $55 million contract extension back in 2006, which included the $16 million 2013 team option.
Dickey, 38, is coming off the best season of his career, going 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA and 230 strikeouts. Those numbers could net him the National League Cy Young award next month, in addition to a significant pay raise. Before he was able to establish himself as more than a one-year wonder, Dickey signed a two-year, $7.8 million contract extension that included his $5 million 2013 option.
Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDicomo. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.