Andino back in action after taking pitch to head

Andino back in action after taking pitch to head

Andino back in action after taking pitch to head
BOSTON -- Robert Andino was back in the lineup on Sunday, having been cleared by the medical staff earlier in the day. The second baseman sat out on Saturday as a precaution after taking a fastball off his helmet late Friday night.

Manager Buck Showalter planned on talking to Andino, who was still upset on Saturday about the Mark Melacon fastball that bounced off his helmet and hit his earflap and neck.

"It's one of the things on my checklist," Showalter said. "I know our pitching staff and how they feel about protecting our hitters. What happens in a situation like that is [that] the [guy who retaliates] always gets in trouble. We certainly can't afford any suspensions at a time like this, but it's still frustrating. Robert's come a long way. Sometimes there are different periods in your life when you fire first and ask questions later, and in the position we're in, it's not a good idea."

Asked after Saturday's game if he thought the pitch was intentional, Andino said, "At this level, man, I think you should have command of your pitches. But whatever."

What about the possibility that Boston was looking for some retribution? It was Andino who infamously uttered, "End of a season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I'll take it all day," after he hit a two-out, ninth-inning walk-off RBI last season and Tampa Bay's walk-off moments later effectively ended Boston's 2011 campaign.

"If that's the case, that's [bull], [that's] how I see it," he said. "But whatever."

After being hit, Andino, who went 2-for-2 with a walk on Friday, took a few steps toward the mound while waving off head athletic trainer Richie Bancells from the dugout. Showalter also went out to help defuse the situation.

After Andino took first base and conferred with Showalter and Bancells, he was removed for pinch-runner Omar Quintanilla. Andino was alert and awake the entire time, and walked off the field without assistance. Following Andino's exit, home-plate umpire Mark Wegner issued warnings to both clubs.