Marlins' rally not enough to beat Dickey, Mets

Marlins' rally not enough to beat Dickey, Mets

Marlins' rally not enough to beat Dickey, Mets
NEW YORK -- Make it five up, five down for the Marlins when they face R.A. Dickey.

Showcasing a baffling knuckleball, Dickey kept the Marlins in check for eight innings and the Mets held on for a 4-3 win on Saturday afternoon in front of 30,332 at Citi Field.

"That's the reason he has a great chance to win the Cy Young Award," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said of Dickey. "Today, the ball was moving a lot. It's hard to control that kind of pitch with the wind blowing like that. He throws a lot of strikes."

The game featured two replay overturned home runs. The second came in the ninth, and the camera awarded John Buck with a three-run homer off Jon Rauch, making it a one-run game.

After being shut out by Dickey for eight innings, the Marlins rallied in the ninth. Greg Dobbs walked and moved to third on Donovan Solano's double. Dickey was lifted for Rauch. Buck provided some dramatics with his long drive down the left-field line.

The ball initially was ruled foul. But Guillen asked for the umpires to review, and it took 1-minute, 31-seconds for the reversal, as the ball hit the foul pole.

"At first, I thought it was foul," Buck said. "I hit it decent, but off the end a little bit. ... I didn't know what it hit. I saw it bounce back pretty hard. I thought it might have hit the concrete."

The Mets have won the first two games of the series, and ensured the Marlins of last place in the National League East, at least through the weekend.

Miami lefty Mark Buehrle was charged with four runs in six innings, and he was hurt by home runs allowed to Jason Bay and Scott Hairston.

In the fourth inning, replay was used to reverse Hairston's drive, which first was called a double.

Aside from the Marlins' late threat, the afternoon belonged to Dickey, who is now 19-6. He was charged with two runs in eight-plus innings. He was striving to post his third straight complete game against the Marlins, but he wasn't able to get an out in the ninth.

Five of his wins have been against the Marlins. No pitcher has ever gone 5-0 in the same season against the Marlins.

Previously, two pitchers were 4-0 in the same season against the Marlins -- Tom Glavine (2002) and Jamie Moyer (2007).

"They may not see the knuckleball well, but you'd have to ask them," Dickey said. "I try to get the hitter out of the batters' box in three pitches or less, no matter what team or what batter. That's my philosophy, it doesn't matter if it's the Marlins or the Nationals or the Yankees, whoever."

The Marlins didn't go quietly in the ninth. After Buck's homer, Rob Brantly delivered a one-out, pinch-hit single. Bryan Petersen grounded into a fielder's choice, with Brantly being forced at second. Petersen stole second, but the game ended when Rauch struck out Gorkys Hernandez.

"We came back a little bit in the ninth," Guillen said. "We fought all the way through it. We had that tying run on second base, and that's a positive thing in the game for us."

The Mets gained control in the second inning on Bay's two-run homer.

In the second inning, Buehrle issued a one-out walk to Lucas Duda. On a 1-0 pitch, Bay blasted a two-run homer to center. It was Bay's eighth shot of the season, with his last coming on Sept. 2, also off Buehrle.

In the fourth inning, the Mets bumped up their lead to 3-0, courtesy of a replay overturn.

Hairston blasted a drive to center, that banked off the wall a few feet above the orange home-run line. The ball bounced back on the field. In the confusion, Hairston stayed at second base.

Mets manager Terry Collins trotted out to the umpires, who left to review the play. It didn't take long to see clearly the ball was gone. The homer was Hairston's 19th of the season, and second of the series.

A couple of bad breaks went against Buehrle in the fifth inning, but the left-hander still was charged with an earned run, which gave New York a 4-0 lead.

Josh Thole dribbled a soft grounder that was just out of third baseman Gil Velazquez's reach at third base. It went for a double. In a bunting situation, Dickey swung away and ripped a grounder that second baseman Solano was unable to collect on the backhand.

The error put runners on the corners. With one out, and the infield in on the corners, Daniel Murphy bounced to first. Carlos Lee bobbled the ball, retrieved it and threw home, where Thole was safe. The play was ruled a fielder's choice with an RBI.

The Marlins were able to stay close because Petersen made a highlight-reel catch at the wall to rob Dickey of extra bases in the sixth.

Dickey narrowly missed belting a grand slam, but Petersen made a leaping catch at the wall, before tumbling to the ground.

"The wind was crazy," Petersen said. "We were playing in, obviously, with Dickey up, so you just kind of put your head down and run. I got good footing on the wall, and it was just one of those things that happened."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for He writes a blog, called The Fish Pond. Follow him on Twitter @JoeFrisaro. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.