Andino discusses Friday's beaning

Andino discusses Friday's beaning

Andino discusses Friday's beaning
BOSTON -- Orioles second baseman Robert Andino, speaking for the first time since taking a pitch to the helmet in Friday night's 4-2 win over the Red Sox, was still visibly upset after Saturday's 9-6 win about Mark Melancon's 94-mph fastball gone awry.

Asked if he thought the pitch was intentional, Andino said: "At this level, man I think should you have command of your pitches. But, whatever."

But what about the possibility that Boston wanted some retribution against Andino, who infamously uttered after his two-out, ninth-inning walk-off RBI last season: "End of season like this, [to] make Boston go home sad, crying, I'll take it all day," after Tampa Bay's walk-off moments later effectively ended the Red Sox's 2011.

"If that's the case, that's [bull], [that's] how I see it," Andino said. "But, whatever."

Andino has had two concussion tests since the incident, and was, what manager Buck Showalter called, not "in the right frame of mind" for Friday's night test. A CT scan after Friday night's game came back negative, and Andino will get another concussion test before Sunday's game to determine his availability.

"It got him in the earflap and the neck some, he had a pretty good welt there," Showalter said about Andino prior to Saturday's game. "He's not happy today, not playing. But as soon as he passes the concussion test -- I'm hoping we get good results from that, and he's back in the lineup [on Sunday]."

Andino, who went 2-for-2 with a walk on Friday, was visibly upset after the pitch knocked off his helmet -- taking a few steps toward the mound while waving off head athletic trainer Richie Bancells from the dugout.

Showalter also came out to help diffuse the situation. After Andino reached first base and conferred with Showalter and Bancells for a few minutes, he was removed for pinch-runner Omar Quintanilla. Andino was alert and awake the entire time, and walked off the field without assistance. Following Andino's exit, home-plate umpire Mark Wegner issued warnings to both clubs.

"I feel normal," said Andino, "I could have stayed in the game [on Friday]. But [it was] precautionary."