LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers have offered general manager Ned Colletti a long-term contract extension, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.
Club chairman Mark Walter said it was his "understanding" that an offer had been made, but Colletti and club president Stan Kasten wouldn't comment.
Colletti received a contract spanning three years, plus mutual options, from former owner Frank McCourt three years ago. Kasten has previously said he expected Colletti to remain with the club.
This is Colletti's seventh season as general manager. The team reached the postseason in three of the first four seasons but never reached the World Series. The Dodgers trail the first-place Giants by 4 1/2 games going into a showdown series in San Francisco beginning Friday night.
Colletti had to work under severe financial limitations the previous two seasons as McCourt took the team into bankruptcy. The sale of the Dodgers from McCourt to Walter's Guggenheim Baseball Partners, Kasten and Magic Johnson, for $2.15 billion closed May 1.
Since then the Dodgers have been on a spending spree, extending Andre Ethier's contract for $85 million, outbidding all clubs with a $42 million deal for Cuban immigrant Yasiel Puig, then picking up more than $300 million in future payroll while dealing away prospects to get Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, the injured Carl Crawford, Joe Blanton, Brandon League, Nick Punto and Randy Choate.
Although he's had more money to spend in a shorter span than any general manager in history, Colletti has received praise from ownership for landing impact players in the prime of their careers without trading away Dodgers top pitching prospect Zach Lee.
Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.