Yanks extend offer to Burnett

Yanks extend offer to Burnett

The Yankees have extended a five-year contract offer to A.J. Burnett, according to a report on ESPN.com.

The report did not state the total amount of the offer, but agent Darek Braunecker is believed to be seeking something around the $91.5 million the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano received over the same length of contract. The report said a decision from Burnett, also pursued by the Braves and Red Sox, could come as soon as Thursday.

The Yankees, who early Wednesday agreed to terms with CC Sabathia on a seven-year deal worth $160 million that has yet to be officially announced, long have been said to be in pursuit of Burnett. The club has not officially acknowledged that an offer has been made to Burnett, however.

The Yankees were reported to be willing to go beyond the four-year, $60 million offer the Braves put forth last week. A report earlier in the day said that Altanta had extended its offer to a fifth year at $80 million, but a source told MLB.com those terms were not "even close."

Burnett, who will turn 32 in January, is considered -- along with Derek Lowe, another target of the Yankees -- among the top right-handed starters on the market. Burnett set career highs in wins and innings pitched in 2008, going 18-10 with a 4.41 ERA in 221 1/3 innings for the Blue Jays.

John Schlegel is an executive editor for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.