Felix still in a frenzy after perfect game

Felix still in a frenzy after perfect game

Felix still in a frenzy after perfect game
SEATTLE -- Two days after throwing the first perfect game in Mariners history, Felix Hernandez was still buzzing Friday.

The 26-year-old ace said life had been hectic ever since he zipped through the Rays in non-stop fashion on Wednesday, as he's dealt with media requests, calls from family and friends and just coming to terms with the accomplishment.

"Crazy," Hernandez said after another round of photos and interviews prior to Friday's series opener with the Twins. "A lot of phone calls, a lot of stuff to do, but it was fun. It's been a fun two days.

"I still can't believe it. It's pretty special. And to do it here at Safeco Field in front of these guys? Even more special."

King County executive Dow Constantine proclaimed Friday as "King Felix County Day" and sent a special proclamation that Hernandez proudly showed reporters at his locker.

"This is unbelievable," he said. "That's crazy. I love it, man. See, I'm part of Seattle. I can't go anywhere."

In a previously scheduled event, Hernandez and teammate Michael Saunders visited Seattle Children's Hospital earlier Friday as part of the Mariners Get Well Tour. Those kids, Hernandez said, treated him no differently now that he's become one of 23 pitchers in MLB history with a perfect game.

"They're always the same," he said with a laugh. "It was fun. I always go there and do something special. I always enjoy that day. Always."

Hernandez's jersey from Wednesday's game will be sent to the Hall of Fame. He still has the ball from the final out and says he'll give that to his wife, who had flown to Venezuela the day before and missed the historic event.

And he's still dealing with the 120 text messages and 300 missed calls from people trying to get in touch, including former teammates and friends from back home. His next start isn't until Tuesday against the Indians, and he figures to have decompressed by then.

For now, reality is just sinking in.

"I went home that night and lay down and I just said, 'I did it,'" Hernandez said. "Finally, I did it."