LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers reliever Scott Proctor, who was left off the National League Championship Series roster after battling arm problems, will undergo right elbow surgery Wednesday.
Proctor will have a partially torn flexor tendon repaired and a bone spur in the back of his elbow shaved down. Dodgers surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache considers it a straightforward cleanup procedure, according to club officials, and Proctor is expected to be ready for Spring Training.
"He had told me if he wasn't on the roster, he was planning on surgery and the sooner the better," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. "We know for sure, if we're in the World Series, both [Takashi] Saito and [Ramon] Troncoso would be ahead of him [if a pitching change to the roster was made]."
The 31-year-old right-hander pitched in 41 games for the Dodgers, apparently most of them while dealing with a balky elbow. It wasn't until late June that Proctor's condition became public, and he spent more than two months on the disabled list with a 6.82 ERA.
He pitched seven innings over eight games in September with a 2.57 ERA. But he pitched on consecutive days only once and didn't appear for another six days. He was left off the postseason roster because the club wasn't sure about his resiliency, presumably in favor of 42-year-old Greg Maddux, who has already shown the versatility to handle relief after a career as a starter that likely will put him in the Hall of Fame.
Proctor, 31, was acquired from the Yankees at the Trade Deadline last year for Wilson Betemit. He was originally drafted by the Dodgers and came up through their farm system but was traded to the Yankees for Robin Ventura in 2003.
Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.