D-backs shut down top prospect Bauer

D-backs shut down top prospect Bauer

D-backs shut down top prospect Bauer
PHOENIX -- The D-backs will shut down prospect Trevor Bauer for one or two starts to give the right-hander a break.

Bauer was drafted third overall last year by the D-backs and made a rapid rise through the Minor Leagues, culminating in a June 28 callup to the Majors.

In four starts for the D-backs, he compiled a 6.06 ERA and was sent back to Triple-A Reno last week.

"I don't think that when we saw him here the ball was coming out of his arm the same way it was in Spring Training," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "It's quite different where he was a year ago and where he's at today and the requirements to consistently be able to throw every fifth day. It's a learning process."

Bauer allowed two runs on seven hits in five innings in his first start back with Reno.

D-backs director of player development Mike Bell said Bauer is not injured, but the team wants to give him a breather as he deals with his first full year in professional baseball.

"It's something we've done with first-year guys," Bell said. "We just want to give him a chance to slow things down, regroup and finish up strong."