Man reportedly admits to assaulting Giants fan

Man reportedly admits to assaulting Giants fan

Man reportedly admits to assaulting Giants fan
A Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled Friday that two men must stand trial in the beating of a Giants fan on Opening Day 2011 in the Dodger Stadium parking lot. One of the men acknowledged the attack in a jailhouse conversation, according to The Associated Press.

Louie Sanchez, 30, and Marvin Norwood, 31, are accused of mayhem and assault and battery after an attack on Bryan Stow, 43, a Northern California paramedic and father of two who suffered brain damage and remains in a therapeutic facility.

Sanchez, who the AP says was secretly recorded by prosecutors after appearing in a police lineup with Norwood last July, is quoted as telling Norwood, "I socked him, jumped him and started beating him."

A transcript of the conversation was released after a preliminary hearing of testimony and evidence, which included a recording of the conversation between the two men. Sanchez is also quoted as saying that he was responding to a derogatory comment made by Stow, and that he apologized for dragging Norwood into the situation, according to the AP.

The recording was cited by prosecutors in the arraignment on Friday, with Deputy District Attorney Michele Hanessey at times reading directly from the transcript, according to the AP. At one point, the defendants discussed the stories they would tell police, with Sanchez suggesting that the men claim that Stow harrassed his sister.

Stow was walking through the Dodger Stadium parking lot with friends on Opening Day 2011 when he was brutally attacked. Reportedly, the two assailants repeatedly kicked and punched Stow -- who was clad in Giants gear -- while he was on the ground, before fleeing the scene.

Stow wound up in a coma and his family has filed a $50 million suit against the Dodgers for damages.

Sanchez and Norwood also face federal weapons charges, according to a May report in the Los Angeles Times, which also states that both were charged with being felons in possession of firearms that were retrieved from Norwood's home. Authorities reportedly recovered at least five semiautomatic weapons. If convicted, each would face up to a 10-year term in a federal prison.

Zack Meisel is a reporter for Follow him on Twitter @zackmeisel. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.