CLEVELAND -- Indians catcher Carlos Santana could return to the lineup as early as Tuesday or Wednesday at Detroit, manager Manny Acta said Saturday. Santana has been on the seven-day concussion list since being hit in the mask by a foul tip on May 25 against the White Sox.
Santana ran the bases, took batting practice on the field, and threw to the bases from behind the plate on Saturday afternoon at Progressive Field.
"He responded well," Acta said. "Now he's going to take a neurological test [in the clubhouse], and we'll go from there. It all depends on the test and being approved by [Major League Baseball]."
The Indians had been playing with their third catcher, Luke Carlin, until Lou Marson returned to the lineup on Friday. Marson went 1-for-3 with a walk in his first game back after missing the previous three with a mouth injury.
Entering Saturday night's game against the Twins, Marson and Carlin had gone a combined 6-for-21 in seven games since Santana's injury.