SEATTLE -- Angels outfielder Torii Hunter, on the restricted list since May 14 to deal with a personal matter, is expected to rejoin his teammates on Monday.
By Sunday afternoon, Hunter was expected to return from Texas -- where his teenage son has been fighting sexual-assault charges -- and work out in Anaheim, Angels manager Mike Scioscia said before Sunday's game against the Mariners. Then, on Monday, Hunter will go through pregame activities prior to the series opener against the Yankees, at which point the Angels will decide whether to activate him immediately or give him more time to get acclimated.
The Angels aren't sure how quickly their right fielder will be back in the lineup, but it's now only a matter of days. And Hunter, who has stayed active in the two weeks he's been out, won't need to go on a rehab assignment.
"He has been hitting in the cage a bit, off the tee, he has been able to run, he's thrown a little bit, and he's actually taken some live BP while he's gone," Scioscia said. "But you want to assess him in a full workout today. There's going to be some stiffness he's got to work through; I don't care what you've done, and then repeat it tomorrow and just see where physically he is. That's the biggest thing is you want him to feel comfortable physically to go out there and do what you need to do."
Hunter's 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, was accused of sexual assault of a child (a second-degree felony) in Prosper, Texas, earlier this month.
But the family's attorneys said last week that the accuser, a 16-year-old girl, recanted everything she previously told police in a phone conversation with a close family friend of the Hunters, who recorded the exchange. That evidence has since been turned over to police.
Since Hunter's absence, the Angels have used Mark Trumbo almost primarily in right field. Hunter, 36, was batting .256 with five homers and 15 RBIs in 33 games.